Register

Justin's Looks

Resident

Justin's Looks

Postby Amanda » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:00 pm

I noticed in the pictures that Ellen Pompeo tweeted during the welcome back dinner that Justin's facial hair was growing. The next shot we got was the one of CL kissing his cheek and I think he looks perfect there. But looking at the picture she tweeted of them working together in 10.06 more closely, I can kind of see what you're worried about :lol:

I'm curious as to why Shonda asked him to grow his beard out. Do you remember where you read that Trixie?

I have to say my favorite Justin look, not including Season 2, was early S6. I also loved his look in late S4 like you said.

As for the sex scene, I just hope it's not cut too fast. But this is GA so I'm guessing it will be. One thing that's always frustrated me about this show is that the scenes are too quick. There's sort of a timer for every shot I feel. I remember watching 708 and being shocked how long they let Alex go on about his brother and family in Iowa without transitioning. I'd like them to be a little awkward about it, but in a sweet way, you know? Like it's a big thing for them. For Alex, he usually just jumps into bed before developing a relationship or even admitting he loves the girl. And for Jo, well ... she basically told him she was raped in 9.23 so there might be some nerves there for her. I have no idea if her and Peckwell were intimate together. So I'd like to see that explored for both of them, and hopefully it's not too rushed.

Patient

Re: Justin's Looks

Postby Trixie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Do you remember where you read that Trixie?

No, it was some interview with Shonda, I think. She mentioned that she usually called all the actors before the season to check up on them and to go over the upcoming season, etc. And I think that I remember her asking him to grow his beard in for some reason. Because it was definitely something for the show and he shaved for personal appearances, etc. I just remember thinking that it was weird (and kind of controlling) that she paid that much attention to it.

Looking back at the screenshots, he didn't look that bad at the beginning or end of season 5, but somewhere in the middle he looked like this: http://jchambersonline.com/images/displayimage.php?album=294&pid=10182#top_display_media

(sorry, don't know how to insert a picture or apparently a link.) He doesn't look horrible, it just isn't may favorite look. I liked him best in season 2 and at the end of last season. Also the beginning of season 3 with the buzz cut, which surprises me because usually I like his hair longer.

Organ Donor

Postby Josie » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Trixie wrote:Looking back at the screenshots, he didn't look that bad at the beginning or end of season 5, but somewhere in the middle he looked like this: http://jchambersonline.com/images/displ ... play_media

(sorry, don't know how to insert a picture or apparently a link.) He doesn't look horrible, it just isn't may favorite look.

Oh, I can see it now. And I gotta agree. Not his best look. But I didn't mind it, I think. I just loved season 5 Alex-wise. It's the season he became my absolute favourite character.

Attending

Postby Diana » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Amanda wrote:I noticed in the pictures that Ellen Pompeo tweeted during the welcome back dinner that Justin's facial hair was growing. The next shot we got was the one of CL kissing his cheek and I think he looks perfect there. But looking at the picture she tweeted of them working together in 10.06 more closely, I can kind of see what you're worried about :lol:

We also have the pics from the cast shooting on location for episode 10.04 in late August.

The facial hair looks perfect IMHO.

I think the pics Camilla tweeted are from 10.05 (she posted the pics on Sept. 4 and 10.05 filmed from Aug. 29- Sept 11 according to the casting sides, 10.06 started filming on Sept. 10).

Picking up a few quotes posted in the Spoiler Discussion thread
Back in season 5 he also had shorter hair and maybe a little more weight in his face, so maybe that was the problem. I remember reading someplace that Shonda actually called JC and told him to grow his facial hair out, so she definitely plans for these things

And while we're at it, let's talk about his look towards the end of s4. Because I gotta admit I found the beard coupled with the short hair and the fact that he was in super great shape back then hot. I really digged his late s4 look.

I agree with both points. The beard and buzzcut look of late season 4 worked because Justin lost a fair amount of weight during the Writers' strike and his face thinned out. When he's back to more or less his usual weight his face is a bit rounder so when he has short hair and a bit more facial hair like in S5, it makes his face look even rounder and it sometimes looks a bit off.

No, it was some interview with Shonda, I think. She mentioned that she usually called all the actors before the season to check up on them and to go over the upcoming season, etc. And I think that I remember her asking him to grow his beard in for some reason. Because it was definitely something for the show and he shaved for personal appearances, etc. I just remember thinking that it was weird (and kind of controlling) that she paid that much attention to it.

I'm slightly embarrassed I know the answer to this, but Shonda said in the podcast for episode 4.12 "Where the Wild Things Are" that she asked Justin to grow a beard because she wanted it to be obvious that a fair amount of time had passed since we had last seen the characters. Season 4 was the season that got split up and shortened because the Writer's Strike happened midway through it and production was suspended for a couple of months. Before the strike, the show had wrapped on episode 4.11 and then when the show picks up after the strike in 4.12, the time on GA had also advanced a few months (I can't remember how much time the events from 4.12 happened after 4.11). I might have the podcast saved. I'll try looking for it and if I find it I'll post a link for those wanting to download and listen.

Looking back at the screenshots, he didn't look that bad at the beginning or end of season 5, but somewhere in the middle he looked like this:http://jchambersonline.com/images/displayimage.php?album=294&pid=10182#top_display_media

It does look weird in that pic. There is too much facial hair in some spots and too little in others. It ends up looking really uneven and patchy. :? Sidenote: whenever season 5 is brought up I'm reminded that I never finished screencapping the DVD episodes. Back when I was screencapping, I got to the episode where Denny makes his grand entrance and was so put off because I knew what was coming that I just stopped and put the DVDs away. That's how much I enjoyed that love triangle.

As for the sex scene, I just hope it's not cut too fast. But this is GA so I'm guessing it will be.

Maybe you should hope there's a sex scene at all. :P I think there will be some sort of scene but in no way do I think they'll get the Crowen/MerDer (season 2) treatment.

Patient

Postby Trixie » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:51 pm

Yes, he does look great in those photos. Maybe the unruly scruff is a temporary thing. And thanks for the podcast info, I knew that I had heard it someplace and figured it was on of those "symbolic" touches that Shonda loves so much.

Maybe you should hope there's a sex scene at all.

Yeah, maybe I should start adjusting my expectations for my Karev's Anatomy dream season. You would think I would know better than to be so optimistic! :lol:

God, its great to be excited about this show again!

Resident

Postby Amanda » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:01 pm

God, its great to be excited about this show again!

Amen. I haven't been this excited since Season 6. And that didn't last long...

As much as I love the show, I just can't enjoy it when Alex has no storyline, so for that matter I suppose I am a little bit of a biased Karev fanatic. (*secret* For your you gals' eyes only) Recording the podcast last year at times became a chore for me because it felt like everyone was enthusiastic for their faves but me. But I was a good man in a storm, so I'm glad to see it was worth it in the end.

Justin/Alex just keeps looking better and better as the show progresses, too. He was handsome in the early seasons, but he looked so young still. Now that he's in his 40's, he's really filled out and grown to look even more handsome and mature. I think Season 9, 10, (and maybe 11 if GA continues) he'll look his absolute best in the entire series. And that's a compliment to you, Justin, if you read this. ;)

Attending

Postby Diana » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 pm

I waiver between really excited and cautiously optimistic. There have been way too many instances where I've been really excited and then ended up disappointed. But this season sounds like I can't lose because Alex is certainly going to have something going on (relationship with Jo, re-encounter with his father). Whether it'll be a case of good or bad storytelling from the writers remains to be seen, but the fact that Alex will even get a story is a step up.

Trixie wrote:Yes, he does look great in those photos. Maybe the unruly scruff is a temporary thing. And thanks for the podcast info, I knew that I had heard it someplace and figured it was on of those "symbolic" touches that Shonda loves so much.

If Shonda is going for symbolism maybe the unruly scruff is symbolic of how stressful it is for Alex to have his father around again. Symbolic of how the bad memories of a time Alex doesn't want to remember have resurfaced.

I found the podcast about the season 4 facial hair by the way. The first words from the girl who does the podcast info is "Karev sports facial hair". How appropriate for our discussion. :lol: It's about midway through (somewhere around 7 minute mark) that Shonda says that she called Justin 3 weeks before they started shooting and told him to grow his facial hair. The time gap between episodes is 6 weeks. Katherine (Izzie) getting a haircut and Eric (Mark) being clean-shaven were also visuals that were supposed to show time had passed. if anyone wants to take a stroll down memory lane, here is the podcast for download http://rapidshare.com/share/58BC7D25A4A7CF13120B2C0937DEF044

As much as I love the show, I just can't enjoy it when Alex has no storyline, so for that matter I suppose I am a little bit of a biased Karev fanatic. (*secret* For your you gals' eyes only) Recording the podcast last year at times became a chore for me because it felt like everyone was enthusiastic for their faves but me. But I was a good man in a storm, so I'm glad to see it was worth it in the end.

Maybe this year will be your time in the sun and you're going to be so enthusiastic about your fave. :) Here's my reality at the moment: there are characters I like on the show but I just don't care enough about them or their story to be excited anymore or to keep me watching. It wasn't always like that though. But if it weren't for Justin (Alex) still being on, I would have stopped watching a while ago. It's the difference between GA and something like 'Breaking Bad' for me. 'Breaking Bad' gets me excited for the story as a whole but GA now only gets me excited about a particular character's story.

I think Justin has always looked good. There are some looks I prefer over others, of course, but the only time I really was :? was those first few episodes of season 4. The hair + facial hair combo was just... no.

Justin & GA hair stylists, please never do this again.

Patient

Postby Trixie » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:40 pm

It's the difference between GA and something like 'Breaking Bad' for me. 'Breaking Bad' gets me excited for the story as a whole but GA now only gets
me excited about a particular character's story.

Same here. Its funny, I watch lots of really well written shows and get very in to them, but I haven't been obsessed with a character like I have with Alex on any of those shows. I have been in Breaking Bad mode for the last few weeks and it has been awesome and traumatic for me!

Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Justin & GA hair department, please never do this again.

I never found this that bad! I've seen several people say they didn't like this do, but I never minded it. :lol: I thought it made him look very sophisticated. I still prefer other looks to this, though. I suppose I just like him no matter what he does. *cough* Minus the blonde hair. PS: Diana, the screencaps from 4.01 (and I think some other eps of Season 4) don't work. =/

Thanks for the podcast link. I wish I had the power to call Justin up and ask him to grow/cut his hair. Or work out for a shirtless scene. :lol:

Same here. Its funny, I watch lots of really well written shows and get very in to them, but I haven't been obsessed with a character like I have with Alex on any of those shows.

It's because Grey's is very much a character show. It relies on their relationships and flaws and goals to push the show (and story) along. A lot of other shows are more plot-driven, which makes their characters more dispensable.

Attending

Postby Diana » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:18 am

Trixie wrote:
It's the difference between GA and something like 'Breaking Bad' for me. 'Breaking Bad' gets me excited for the story as a whole but GA now only gets
me excited about a particular character's story.

Same here. Its funny, I watch lots of really well written shows and get very in to them, but I haven't been obsessed with a character like I have with Alex on any of those shows. I have been in Breaking Bad mode for the last few weeks and it has been awesome and traumatic for me!

I feel the same way.

I've seen several people say they didn't like this do, but I never minded it. :lol:

I have to agree with several people. This was Alex's worst look in all 9 seasons. Thankfully it only lasted about 3 episodes and then they stopped styling Justin's hair like that.

PS: Diana, the screencaps from 4.01 (and I think some other eps of Season 4) don't work. =/

Thanks for letting me know. I had noticed that a while back and asked Fay if she could look into it since she's the tech savvy one. I think it just might be easier to delete the screencaps and add them back though. I might start doing that soon.

Next

Return to General Discussion