Register

11.12 - The Great Pretender

Moderator: Amanda

Attending

11.12 - The Great Pretender

Postby Diana » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:58 pm

“The Great Pretender” - Maggie gets upset when Meredith dodges her questions about DC; Bailey and Ben become concerned about Ben’s brother after he is admitted to the hospital, and Dr. Herman starts to warm up to Arizona. Meanwhile, Richard feels manipulated by Catherine, on “Grey’s Anatomy,” THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 19 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

“The Great Pretender” was written by Mark Driscoll and directed by Jeanot Szwarc.

Attending

Re: 11.12 - The Great Pretender

Postby Diana » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:45 pm

I don't know if it was the levity of this episode after 3 darker and sad episodes focused on an unborn baby with a fatal disease, but I really enjoyed it.

I thought the transgender storyline was well-handled. Curt hiding that she was transitioning from Ben out of fear of being rejected was believable. Ben being in denial and having a hard time accepting that his brother identifies as female also was very believable. I thought Bailey was great in how she handled Ben and how she promptly started using female pronouns when referring to Curt/Rosalyn.

The patient who would faint when her boyfriend started talking and being so overbearing with his love made me laugh. Maybe I was supposed to feel bad for the guy but he was just too much and a bit creepy. lol

I'm not sure if it was supposed to mean something the fact that Jo was on the case of a patient who pretended to faint when her boyfriend was going to propose because she didn't want to commit to him and then at the end of the episode Alex looks at Jo and says "I'm gonna marry that girl". It could've just been a coincidence.

It's a very Grey's Anatomy thing to make Herman likable and have her bond with Arizona but then die during surgery...

Amelia and Owen... I knew it was going to happen but I didn't expect it to be this soon. I hope the fact that Owen is breaking his own no-fraternization rule comes up.

I'm not surprised that Meredith spent those 3 days in a hotel by herself where she says she had an amazing time not having to be anybody's wife or mother. Okay, fine. But she just spent several days away from her kids, spent the day at work and then at night she's goes to Alex's. Those kids must hardly ever see their parents. Shonda should've stuck to her guns when she said there would never be kids on GA. It's like Callie being at Joe's drinking and dancing while Arizona is stealing furniture with Herman at the hospital. I guess Sofia spends her days and nights at the magical 24-hour daycare.

There wasn't much Alex but I liked what there was. The scene between Alex, Arizona, Herman and Jo where Alex teases Arizona about her getting handsy with residents was very funny. I also enjoyed the last scene with Meredith mostly because Alex was a great friend. I wonder if Alex bringing up marrying Jo is going to open that subject for them again. The first time he proposed (lol) they had only been together for a few months, but now they've been together for at least a year and a half so I could see him wanting to do it again.

Organ Donor

Postby Josie » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:22 pm

Diana wrote:The patient who would faint when her boyfriend started talking and being so overbearing with his love made me laugh.

Me too. Mainly because the actess played it so well that it really was funny.

Diana wrote:I hope the fact that Owen is breaking his own no-fraternization rule comes up.

I hope too. But considering the fact that Owen is one of Shonda's favs and Amelia too, and considering the fact that it was a silly rule to begin with, I'm afraid it won't come up again. It bugs me though. He also broke that rule when he hooked up with Cristina during the back half of s10 and nobody was bothered by it. While we're at it, I wonder what people see in Owen. He is a good guy I guess and I don't hate him or anything, I liked him and Cristina together until her 2nd accidental pregnancy. But Owen has cheated on every woman we've ever seen him with. He cheated on Beth (I think that was her name) with Cristina. He cheated on Cristina with random patient family member. And then he cheated on Emma with Cristina. And yet it already seems like the Owen/Amelia pairing has more fans than Alex/Jo. IDK but I find it questionable.

Diana wrote:There wasn't much Alex but I liked what there was. The scene between Alex, Arizona, Herman and Jo where Alex teases Arizona about her getting handsy with residents was very funny. I also enjoyed the last scene with Meredith mostly because Alex was a great friend. I wonder if Alex bringing up marrying Jo is going to open that subject for them again. The first time he proposed (lol) they had only been together for a few months, but now they've been together for at least a year and a half so I could see him wanting to do it again.

I agree. Alex and the others teasing Arizona was very entertaining to watch. I loved that scene. I also liked his scene with Meredith but mainly because it so sweet seeing Alex being a really great and caring friend. It made my heart melt when he looked at her and then put her arm around her. Other parts of that scene seemed a bit weird though. Like why was Jo naked? She never struck me as a girl who would be naked around the house. But then again we don't really know much about her. It's been 2 1/2 seasons but sadly this is still true. We only ever get a hint here and there.

Which brings me to Alex's marriage comment. I must admit I wasn't one to be totally thrilled about it. It did make me smile, because my first thought was: Finally we have a clue where their journey is going. But upon giving it some more thought I'm not so sure anymore. After all they never followed through with anything Jolex-related this season so far. Oh well, I still try to believe that this was not just a throw-away comment that is soon forgotten again.

I was also a bit baffled that Alex brought up marriage all of a sudden because we haven't exactly seen him being a very caring boyfriend this season. And now he wants to marry her? Yeah, well I guess we have to take what we get.

But if the intended storyline for Alex and Jo is a wedding sometime this season, I really need them to focus on their issues first. Because even though the writers like to sweep them under the rug or use them for comic relief only, there are some things that need to be sorted out first. Like what about Jo's violent and criminal past? What about Jo's possible abuse? Why has Jo never said "I love you" to Alex? Are we supposed to believe that things like that just happen off-screen? Those things are important and I would hate it if the writers just throw a wedding on us, before exploring Jo's character more. Exploring those things could be part of the wedding storyline of course, but if non of those things come up I'm gonna be disappointed.

Speaking of Jo's possible assault, I always found it strange that there was no follow-up story or even talk about it. Why did the writers neglect that story immediately? It makes no sense, because when a person you love drops a hint like that, wouldn't you eventually ask them what had happened exactly? Assault is something serious and I don't think a loving boyfriend would just brush it off and never ask about it again.

Attending

Postby Diana » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:06 am

Josie wrote:
Diana wrote:I hope the fact that Owen is breaking his own no-fraternization rule comes up.

I hope too. But considering the fact that Owen is one of Shonda's favs and Amelia too, and considering the fact that it was a silly rule to begin with, I'm afraid it won't come up again.

Maybe it will. The talk between Owen and Amelia at the hospital touched on it. Owen said they have rules at the hospital about dating co-workers. Of course, that didn't stop Amelia from showing up at the trailer or from Owen kissing her.

But Owen has cheated on every woman we've ever seen him with. He cheated on Beth (I think that was her name) with Cristina. He cheated on Cristina with random patient family member. And then he cheated on Emma with Cristina. And yet it already seems like the Owen/Amelia pairing has more fans than Alex/Jo. IDK but I find it questionable.

I think he cheated on Cristina with a woman he met at a bar. But that's besides the point. He has cheated in every relationship he's been in. I'm not sure if the writers even realize they've written him like that. I've seen a lot of opposition to Owen/Amelia actually. Amelia fans and people who don't like Owen think Amelia deserves better. Owen/Crowen fans think it's too soon after Cristina and/or that Owen deserves better.

Like why was Jo naked? She never struck me as a girl who would be naked around the house. But then again we don't really know much about her. It's been 2 1/2 seasons but sadly this is still true. We only ever get a hint here and there.

I think Jo not wearing pants might have become a bit of a running gag. There was that scene in season 9 where Owen confused Jo for Cristina and felt her up. Later when she was talking to Alex he told her she should wear pants. In this season's premiere, Jo was sleeping naked and then just put on a shirt when she got kicked out of bed. Now she's walking around naked and Alex once again told her she should probably wear pants. It's probably just a dumb thing for the writers to add a funny scene once in a while.

Which brings me to Alex's marriage comment. I must admit I wasn't one to be totally thrilled about it. It did make me smile, because my first thought was: Finally we have a clue where their journey is going. But upon giving it some more thought I'm not so sure anymore. After all they never followed through with anything Jolex-related this season so far. Oh well, I still try to believe that this was not just a throw-away comment that is soon forgotten again.

My first thought was also that the marriage comment was an indication that Jo's commitment issues were going to come back around especially because it's episode 12, halfway into the season, and some stories are coming to an end (April's pregnancy) and others are starting for 11B (Owen/Amelia..). But the comment could totally be dropped like it has before. More than anything, that moment felt ominous. When Alex (or other characters) are happy, hopeful, excited and express it like that, it usually means that things are going to take a turn for the worse soon.

But if the intended storyline for Alex and Jo is a wedding sometime this season, I really need them to focus on their issues first. Because even though the writers like to sweep them under the rug or use them for comic relief only, there are some things that need to be sorted out first. Like what about Jo's violent and criminal past? What about Jo's possible abuse? Why has Jo never said "I love you" to Alex? Are we supposed to believe that things like that just happen off-screen? Those things are important and I would hate it if the writers just throw a wedding on us, before exploring Jo's character more. Exploring those things could be part of the wedding storyline of course, but if non of those things come up I'm gonna be disappointed.

I would rather see these questions about Jo addressed and explored than a wedding this season. This is Jo's third season and we're not going to have another 5-7 seasons, so it's time explain how and why certain things happened to her that shaped her into who she is.

Speaking of Jo's possible assault, I always found it strange that there was no follow-up story or even talk about it. Why did the writers neglect that story immediately? It makes no sense, because when a person you love drops a hint like that, wouldn't you eventually ask them what had happened exactly? Assault is something serious and I don't think a loving boyfriend would just brush it off and never ask about it again.

The writers have a habit of mentioning something and not following up. There are so many examples of them doing the same with Alex and it doesn't surprise me that they've done it with Jo. We can fanwank that Alex did ask Jo about it, but maybe she didn't want to talk about it and he didn't push. Maybe he does know what happened but we didn't get to see the talk. Camilla said that Jo knows that Alex was married yet we've never seen it brought up between them. I would have liked to know how Jo found out and what she knows about Izzie and that relationship/marriage. There are so many things I would have liked to see and it gets frustrating to think how much we miss out on.

Patient

Postby Trixie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:10 pm

I liked this episode too, and my favorite scene was the one with Alex teasing AZ. I especially liked how serious he was about it when he was talking to Hreman. As if he has any room to talk about getting handsy with co-workers LOL! I really like Arizona away from Callie and to see her laugh again and have friends. I like her as a character and an actress (though I have a huge pet peeve with the stuttering. Lexie used to do it too and drove me nuts.)

I have decided that I want NO marriage this season. Not even an engagement unless it comes in the finale. I am trying not to read too much into that remark, other than it was a cute thing for him to say after Mer's woes and because she was naked. It was very Alex to declare that he wants to marry a girl who is naked a lot. And I still think that something is going on with Mer and her feelings about Jo, but I will drop that for now!

I would feel better about things if Camilla would give a hint on Twitter or either of them would give an interview. Not Shonda, she is full of crap most of the time.

Attending

Postby Diana » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:33 am

Trixie wrote:I have decided that I want NO marriage this season. Not even an engagement unless it comes in the finale.

If they get engaged, they will probably get married in the same episode or the next one, maybe not even onscreen. That's how the GA writers roll.

Trixie wrote:I would feel better about things if Camilla would give a hint on Twitter or either of them would give an interview. Not Shonda, she is full of crap most of the time.

TV Guide visited the set and interviewed Justin and Camilla together. They were shooting episode 11.15 at the time so it should be coming out soon. It's the one TV Guide posted the pic of them together and asked what has them so excited. https://twitter.com/TVGuide/status/557694233570967553

Patient

Postby Trixie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:22 pm

TV Guide visited the set and interviewed Justin and Camilla together. They were shooting episode 11.15 at the time so it should be coming out soon. It's the one TV Guide posted the pic of them together and asked what has them so excited. https://twitter.com/TVGuide/status/557694233570967553

This makes me feel a little better, I just hope whatever it is that it doesn't get cut LOL!

C'mon Diana, you and JC are old Twitter pals now, can you get him to drop a tiny hint. No details jsut whether or not they have a storyline at all this season :D :lol:

Attending

Postby Diana » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:37 am

Twitter pals we definitely are not. I doubt Justin would say anything about a storyline to fans if asked, but it's not like he's on Twitter answering questions these days. Camilla OTOH might hint at something like she's done in the past.

Return to Grey's Anatomy