Register

10.11 - Man on the Moon

Moderator: Amanda

Patient

Re: 10.11 - Man on the Moon

Postby Trixie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:51 pm

Yeah, I agree, what we got was good, but once again it just isn't enough! I feel like this is an important story and it is just getting the surface treatment. I am glad that Jo stayed as professional as she could and it is a HUGE relief that Alex and Jo's relationship still seems to be in a relatively good place. My favorite scene was the end when she apologized (and I took it not so much as an apology but more like "wow, I am sorry that you had to go through all of this so young.") Although, again, it seems to me that Jo would be a lot more jaded than they are making her out to be, given her experience.

What I found interesting is that Jimmy might not have been such a terrible father, had the circumstances been different. To me it sounded like everything just went over his head. All the responsibility for the children rested on him, because his wife had a mental illness - which of course meant that he had to take care of her too.

Yeah, it was interesting hearing his ranting hallucinations. Though I thought it was kind of a cheap, easy way for the writers to reveal all of that info rather than, say, a conversation with his son. Especially when he was yelling at Alex's mother for not picking the kids up. So while he definitely was a shit husband and father, it isn't like he didn't care about his children. Given all that is happening next episode, I am not really hopeful that a deep conversation is going to happen.

Sidenote: I'm disappointed that neither Meredith nor Cristina seem to care about what is going on in Alex's life. Cristina didn't even listen and cut him off when he told her that he was having a tough time. Great friends they are.

I think that if they really knew what was going on, they would definitely be there for him, but they are so involved in their own drama that they aren't focusing on anything other than that. I actually liked the Alex/Cris scene. He apologized for not being distracted and while she did interrupt him, I liked how she really seemed to want and value his opinion on the baby. I wonder why the writers picked Owen of all people for Jo to confide Jimmy's identity to. I would have preferred it be Richard or AZ or even Bailey. They are all attendings and could have told her the same things Owen did. Owen is probably less connected to Alex than anyone else in the hospital.

As for the rest, I have never liked Derek and am so sick of Callie at this point, that I barely watched their scenes. Am similarly disinterested in all things Bailey and Matthew/April/Jackson. I liked Mer with Stephanie and hated Cristina with Shane. The awkward Mer/Cris conversation was well done, I thought. It was awkward and totally believable that they were both so defensive that any normally innocent remark about the other was immediately taken the wrong way and blown out of proportion. I am extremely ready for them to make up, however.

Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:34 pm

I was initially disappointed in what we got too, mostly because as you said Trixie, we basically got 75% of that material through promo's/sneak's. But it was worse in the episode because for some reason they decided to use their scenes as the perfect places for commercial breaks. The whole 'I know who you are,' and them bam, commercial break was just annoying. It messed with the momentum and flow of these very important moments that I enjoyed more when I saw them before as a sneak.

I kept waiting for something to happen, something new to discover about Alex and his childhood, just anything. But I kept finding myself disappointed. The hallucinations felt like a cheap way for Jo to learn about her boyfriend's past, but I suppose I can forgive them for that. James Remar did a good job showing the different layers of Jimmy's character. I like that even though we got a glimpse of the more frightening aspects of him, we also saw that he did care for his children. Especially Alex, it seemed, although that's probably just because he was the oldest and therefore out of the house more often. It's clear that he didn't know how to handle his wife's illness and his children by himself, so he probably eventually avoided it altogether out of resentment. Probably wished he could have just had a normal life.

I found it interesting that Jo tried to tell Jimmy to leave at first, knowing how Alex would feel about his presence in the hospital. It was only when Owen reminded her that she took an oath that she tried to help him.

It's sad that Alex has the whole thing memorized. Obviously he's used to these threats Jimmy used to dish out. I just wonder how many times he did what he threatened, and if in fact Alex was beaten as well. I hope we get more answers next week, but with the amount of things that are going on right now I'm not too hopeful.

Patient

Postby Trixie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:18 pm

It's sad that Alex has the whole thing memorized. Obviously he's used to these threats Jimmy used to dish out. I just wonder how many times he did what he threatened, and if in fact Alex was beaten as well. I hope we get more answers next week, but with the amount of things that are going on right now I'm not too hopeful.

I thought that JC's reaction to that last scene was perfect. Just kind of a grim chuckle and shake of his head. It seemed that Jimmy did beat Alex (and Aaron too probably). Maybe not punches to the face or whatever like with his mom, but I could definitely see him smacking them around or generally manhandling them.

With all that is going on in the next episode (April's wedding, Cris/Mer fight, Derek's offer, Bailey crap) I just don't see Alex and his dad being given the time it deserves. I feel like I have seen enough of Alex yelling (at Jo, at his dad), I want to see him sit down and have a real conversation with his father. I don't blame him for being angry, and the conversation doesn't have to be friendly and I don't even care if apologies are offered, but I want to see a back and forth without screaming or violence. THAT would be immense progress in my eyes.

Organ Donor

Postby Josie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Trixie wrote:I want to see him sit down and have a real conversation with his father. I don't blame him for being angry, and the conversation doesn't have to be friendly and I don't even care if apologies are offered, but I want to see a back and forth without screaming or violence. THAT would be immense progress in my eyes.

Amen to that! I really hope we get to see that too. I'm not too optimistic but I'm holding out hope.

Previous

Return to Grey's Anatomy